Here are the 28 principles that W. Cleon Skousen distilled from over 150 volumes of the Founding Fathers’ original writings, minutes, letters, biographies, etc. Join us on Facebook (Common Sense: Principles of Proper Government Study Group) and participate in coming to know to how following these principles over the past 200 years has brought about more progress to mankind than in the past 5,000.
- The only reliable basis for sound government and just human relations is Natural Law.
- A free people cannot survive under a republican constitution unless they remain virtuous and morally strong.
- The most promising method of securing a virtuous and morally stable people is to elect virtuous leaders
- Without religion the government of a free people cannot be maintained.
- All things were created by God, therefore upon Him all mankind are equally dependent, and to Him they are equally responsible.
- All men are created equal.
- The proper role of government is to protect equal rights, not provide equal things.
- Men are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights.
- To protect man’s rights, God has revealed certain principles of divine law.
- The God-given right to govern is vested in the sovereign authority of the whole people.
- The majority of the people may alter or abolish a government which has become tyrannical.
- The United States of America shall be a republic.
- A constitution should be structured to permanently protect the people from the human frailties of their rulers.
- Life and liberty are secure only so long as the rights of property are secure.
- The highest level of prosperity occurs when there is a free market economy and a minimum of government regulations.
- The government should be separated into three branches: legislative, executive, and judicial.
- A system of checks and balances should be adopted to prevent the abuse of power.
- The unalienable rights of the people are most likely to be preserved if the principles of government are set forth in a written constitution.
- Only limited and carefully defined powers should be delegated to government, all others being retained in the people.
- Efficiency and dispatch require the government to operate according to the will of the majority, but constitutional provisions must be made to protect the rights of the minority.
- Strong local self-government is the keystone to preserving human freedom.
- A free people should be governed by the law and not by the whims of men.
- A free society cannot survive as a republic without a broad program of general education.
- A free people will not survive unless they stay strong.
- “Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations: entangling alliances with none.”
- The core unit which determines the strength of any society is the family; therefore, the government should foster and protect its integrity.
- The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
- The United States has a manifest destiny to be an example and a blessing to the entire human race.
These principles can be found and discussed in The 5000 Year Leap: The 28 Great Ideas That Changed the World.
When I Posted
May 2013 M T W T F S S « Jan 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- Simplicity Storms & struggles Sadness & strife These are but gifts Blessings of life We ride the cycles of happiness and sorrow. With every rotation we learn more of what it is to be human, to have strains, to have challenges, to have difficulties. To recognize that these down times are but part of the whole…
- Clean Hands and a Pure Heart Clean Hands and a Pure Heart Elder David A. Bednar "The purpose of our mortal journey is not merely to see the sights on earth or to expend our allotment of time on self-centered pursuits; rather, we are to 'walk in newness of life', to become sanctified by yielding our hearts unto God, and to…
- Opening Our Hearts – Elder Gerald N. Lund The Holy Ghost is a precious gift... Do I harden my heart? Then I'll receive LESS of the Lord's word. Do I soften my heart? Then I'll receive MORE of the Lord's word. Responsibilities of the Holy Spirit... comforts, teaches, warns, enlightens and inspires us. It will show unto you ALL things what you should…
- The Apple Pie Challenge The History So I was up last Sunday and my friend Arden popped online and we started chatting. We both recalled how great it had been to be really involved in the scriptures on a daily basis. So, without much hesitation we both agreed to a challenge of sorts that would help us in our…
- Watching Grass Grow This started as a comment I posted on the imported Facebook Note of my blog post Simplifying Stuff that I felt deserved it's own showing on the floor room of my blog. So, during this last conference I had an interesting experience. I hadn't felt solid strength in conference for some time, ESP not like…
- He is Risen…He is Risen Indeed! I had a great week leading up to Easter today. I enjoyed studying about the last week of our Savior and felt closer to Him as I did so. I often feel the pull of the world and today, to know that through Christ's resurrection I have life was a good feeling. Though I walk…
- Out of Small Things Elder Michael J. Teh Of the Seventy Talk Audio "We need to enlarge the circle of our influence" - This reminds me to break free from any cliques that we can quite easily establish and seek to include all. "To some degree we all depend on each other to be able to make it back…