Here are the 28 principles that W. Cleon Skousen distilled from over 150 volumes of the Founding Fathers’ original writings, minutes, letters, biographies, etc. Join us on Facebook (Common Sense: Principles of Proper Government Study Group) and participate in coming to know to how following these principles over the past 200 years has brought about more progress to mankind than in the past 5,000.
- The only reliable basis for sound government and just human relations is Natural Law.
- A free people cannot survive under a republican constitution unless they remain virtuous and morally strong.
- The most promising method of securing a virtuous and morally stable people is to elect virtuous leaders
- Without religion the government of a free people cannot be maintained.
- All things were created by God, therefore upon Him all mankind are equally dependent, and to Him they are equally responsible.
- All men are created equal.
- The proper role of government is to protect equal rights, not provide equal things.
- Men are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights.
- To protect man’s rights, God has revealed certain principles of divine law.
- The God-given right to govern is vested in the sovereign authority of the whole people.
- The majority of the people may alter or abolish a government which has become tyrannical.
- The United States of America shall be a republic.
- A constitution should be structured to permanently protect the people from the human frailties of their rulers.
- Life and liberty are secure only so long as the rights of property are secure.
- The highest level of prosperity occurs when there is a free market economy and a minimum of government regulations.
- The government should be separated into three branches: legislative, executive, and judicial.
- A system of checks and balances should be adopted to prevent the abuse of power.
- The unalienable rights of the people are most likely to be preserved if the principles of government are set forth in a written constitution.
- Only limited and carefully defined powers should be delegated to government, all others being retained in the people.
- Efficiency and dispatch require the government to operate according to the will of the majority, but constitutional provisions must be made to protect the rights of the minority.
- Strong local self-government is the keystone to preserving human freedom.
- A free people should be governed by the law and not by the whims of men.
- A free society cannot survive as a republic without a broad program of general education.
- A free people will not survive unless they stay strong.
- “Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations: entangling alliances with none.”
- The core unit which determines the strength of any society is the family; therefore, the government should foster and protect its integrity.
- The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
- The United States has a manifest destiny to be an example and a blessing to the entire human race.
These principles can be found and discussed in The 5000 Year Leap: The 28 Great Ideas That Changed the World.
When I Posted
April 2015 M T W T F S S « Jan 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- Restoring Faith in the Family
Elder Kenneth Johnson
Of the Seventy
“Stable families provide the fabric that holds society together, benefiting all mankind, even those who may feel they live in less-favorable circumstances.”
There have been a handful or two times in this life where I have felt so overwhelmed with the Spirit of God that both His existence and the ...
- Live by Faith and Not by Fear
Live by Faith and Not by Fear
Elder Quentin L. Cook
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
“When we choose to follow Christ in faith rather than choosing another path out of fear, we are ...
- Clean Hands and a Pure Heart
Clean Hands and a Pure Heart
Elder David A. Bednar
“The purpose of our mortal journey is not merely to see the sights on earth or to expend our allotment of time on self-centered pursuits; rather, we are to ‘walk in newness of life’, ...
- A Royal Priesthood & A Baby Blessing
President Thomas S. Monson
“Ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his ...
Testimony is a declaration of the things you have come to know through he who testifies of all truth, the Holy Ghost.
Doctrines studied and practiced with the hope that they are indeed God’s word allows us the gift of the Spirit, who testifies to us, strengthening our testimony. This process is known as faith: Hope ...
- Claim the Exceeding Great and Precious Promises
Claim the Exceeding Great and Precious Promises
by Elder Spencer J. Condie
“And God remembered Rachel.” After being with my dear friend Rachel last week for the blessing of her lovely Thomas, I realized that my ...
- Opening Our Hearts – Elder Gerald N. Lund
The Holy Ghost is a precious gift…
- Do I harden my heart? Then I’ll receive LESS of the Lord’s word.
- Do I soften my heart? Then I’ll receive MORE of the Lord’s word.
Responsibilities of the Holy Spirit…
comforts, teaches, warns, enlightens and inspires us.
It will show unto you ALL things what you should do.
How the Holy Ghost Speaks…
- Restoring Faith in the Family